Monday, September 28, 2015

Letter #64 9-28-2015 Torrington, Wyoming

Hey everyone!
Well this week was hard but successful at the same time because a lot of things fall through, mainly like appointments. But the appointments we did have were very good! One of those appointments was on Friday night with the C_ family. They are a less active family in the ward and having a hard time with some of their beliefs. But that is very normal for a lot of people because we all do struggle with our beliefs some time or another and we have  questions. One of the things we talked about was enduring to the end and how that can be very hard sometimes in this life because this life is a life of test. That is why we have the Savior and His Atonement, without that this Life would be much much harder! 
But we did have a really good talk and they are just struggling as a family. This is hard for me to see, and the best thing we can do is be there for them, show that we care and that we want the best for them. To be honest they just opened up to both of us which was really good.  That way we can know the best way to help them. One thing I have learned as a missionary is that to help someone doesn't always necessarily mean sharing the gospel with them.
Sometimes it just takes knowing that they have a friend who can be there for them and care about them that can make the difference. One thing I've always really thought about, and what I asked my brothers about is the term “dropping people”. As missionaries we are called to invite others to Christ, and to help build their faith and testimony in whatever faith they already do have. When I see we have enough time in a week to be able to see someone, even if they don’t seem interested at the moment, and still be able to do all the work we need to do as missionaries then I don’t feel it is necessary to take them off our list. The Savior still wants them to be loved and cared about, if at this time they are not interested does not mean they don’t need to be cared about. The reason I say that is because I just think of what the Savior would do and I don't think your job is done just because someone is not interested in what we have to say.  We want to love them and care about them even more and be there for them for anything because if we just stop seeing them, there will never be change. Charity and love we can learn to show in many different ways and I feel the most important way is friendship and trust in that friendship. 
Throughout my life I have always been one to share what I believe but in the end I truly do believe in agency and will love the person no matter what, even when I might not necessarily agree with what they do. But when it comes to religion, and we have different views, I am happy for them because in the end we all have the same goal which is to live with our Savior, and Heavenly Father again.  But in the end no matter what religion someone is, we need to always loves them and show them that we are there for them during hard and good times and be quick to forgive. 
I have learned, on my mission to forgive quickly, because when you do forgive others, and truly forgive The Lord blesses you. Trust me this can be very hard! In this last transfer I decided to email the companion that I really didn't get along with, I just talked to him in that email, and just told him that I wish I could go back and change some of the things that happened. I told him that i was sorry for what I did and just for the things that happen. I don't hold anything against him either, with things I may have not liked at that time. And once I did this we have emailed every week and talked to each other.   This week he even called me and we are slowly but surely becoming friends because we have forgotten the past. 
The one thing I've learned here is be the bigger man when something is going on and be the first to forgive and forget. Trust me this is a lot harder said than done.  For the first time I have really just opened up.... just now... and told you what's in my heart. Charity and love are the two most important things to me because when we have a friend who cares for us and is always there for us it is the best feeling in the world. For most of us, or should i say a lot of us, we always have our family who are there for us and that is extremely important but having a friend too makes things even greater.

Much love

Elder Urry



No comments:

Post a Comment